In today’s fast-paced and communication technology driven world, how often do we miss “seeing” if our communication message was effectively transferred? How do we know if we truly generate understanding and reinforce what should continue or change? How often do we miss seeing the listener’s emotion and reaction?
Remember, non-verbal communication can significantly:
- “Pull” people in or “push” them away
- Reinforce versus send mixed signals on what “words” were actually said
- Give you immediate feedback on the mood and potential receptiveness of your audience to your communication
- Provide clues as to what to do next – stop talking, let someone else speak, ask for questions or clarifications
- Impact credibility of both message and messenger
- Impact relationships
- It’s more critical than ever to “listen with your eyes”. Take the time – invest in more communication interaction versus transactions - and your effectiveness in enhancing understanding and awareness may improve. Robots have now learned how to better use non-verbal communication – we can too!
“The most important thing in communication is to hear what isn't being said.” - P. Drucker